Monday, February 1, 2010

Support

Dear Community,

            I have debated, procrastinated, and have not wanted to write a letter that asks for support. This is not a give me money letter, although there is a need, but rather a way to update you on my life and way for me to lose my pride and admit, I need community and support. The support I need is definitely not just financial but also encouragement, accountability, and most of all prayer. I am tempted to follow the typical, easier route and try to be more self-sufficient, however, many times God calls us to uncomfortable things.

            The place I am currently at with this adventurous life journey is pursuing an Outdoor Ministry major and Human Services minor at Montreat College.  I never would have imagined being here but God again, called me to what I cannot even imagine. My dream is to create a wilderness discipleship (modeled after OLD School program at Snowbird) therapy program for underprivileged kids and girls who have been abused. What is crazy is it seems like God is already starting to open up doors to start pursuing that through Holler Ministries. So, that is the big picture and goal but it will take a lot to get there. And I have to admit, there are many days I do not want to do any of it and fear overtakes me but I trust and am excited to see what God has in store.

            One of the first steps and needs toward this dream is an opportunity this summer to do a Leadership and Discipleship in the Wilderness (LDW) course sea kayaking in Canada.  This course will help prepare me to be a leader and better learn to live in and foster community. It also fulfills a school requirement I need. This trip is $2,200 and includes everything for 30 days.  This course is from June 9- July 9, 2010. 

            Another opportunity, is to come alongside the Summer Project with Holler Ministries and be a part of what they are already doing while preparing the start of the wilderness ministry. The Summer Project will include helping with some Africa Camps (not actually in Africa but more training youth), work camps, feeding homeless, helping out with building up the camp/onsite work, and mainly the opportunity to grow and be a part of their intentional community.  This also will take some more financial support, not a paid position but rather an opportunity to serve alongside them. My goal is to raise $1,000 for the Summer Project. For more information on The Holler, go to www.hollerministries.com. 

            So that is the breakdown of next steps and goal of where I am headed.  It is exciting because I have never felt more called or scared to do something before in my life. I really need your support to help guide me through this process and pray for me. God will provide and already is doing so, yet I still for some reason have a difficult time trusting. If you want to financially give, then you can send it to either my home address or school:

Brittany Miller                                      Brittany Miller

Montreat College                                  5631 Alligator lake road,

Mbox 155, PO Box 1207                      Saint Cloud, Fl, 34772

Montreat, NC, 28757

 

Thank you for being a part of my life and sharing with me through this sometimes difficult, but exciting journey.

 

Love,

  Brittany Miller 

No comments:

Post a Comment