Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Give me Faith

Many times I relate certain seasons of my life to a song, particularly a worship song that I resonate with during that time. Then as I hear it later, it is a neat opportunity to recognize God's faithfulness through all seasons.

Though there are many good ones, right now the song I would probably choose is "Give Me Faith" by Elevation Worship to describe my current prayer..

I need you to soften my heartTo break me apartI need you to open my eyesTo see that You're shaping my life
All I am,I surrender
Give me faith to trust what you sayThat you're good and your love is greatI'm broken inside, I give you my life
I need you to soften my heartTo break me apartI need you pierce through the darkAnd cleanse every part of me
I may be weakYour spirit strong in meMy flesh may failMy God you never will (repeat)


It is one of those prayers that God really shows through and you almost regret praying it because you don't know if you're ready or can take it. It's like praying for patience and all week your patience is tested more then ever.  Or for God to break your heart for what breaks His, God will answer and it hurts. Throughout college, for my friend Christina and I, it was the song "Overwhelm Me.. overwhelm me, shake the ground I stand on, I want to be dependent on You" and God for sure answered it! I found myself in many situations that shook my independent facade and only could rely on Christ alone. But all these prayers are worth it. Do not fear.


I remember singing this song "Give me Faith" as an intern about to go for the first time to Cambodia. Then a year later, singing it with the interns this past summer before they all embarked across the world. So powerful to watch them really begin to walk in such surrender. 

I would have to stop myself when it said "All I am, I surrender"... Whoosh! Really, everything?  Am I really willing to trust God with everything? To surrender my plans, finances, and control?

But after the Lord has brought me through many experiences that  have softened my heart, broken me apart, and opened my eyes to see how He's shaping my life... Then yes! I have no other option really. It's all or nothing. He has brought me this far, chosen me, and carries me through. All I am is His anyway.  

So Father keep giving me faith to trust what You say, that You're good, and Your love is great because I know I am weak but Your spirit is strong in me. 
My flesh may fail, My God you never will!!  

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh Brittany I love this post. As I was reading the beginning I was thinking about Overwhelm me and then you talked about. So cool how the Lord provides songs that speak what we're feeling even when we don't know how to put it into words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this Brittany!

    ReplyDelete